St James, Boroughbridge

bor1St James Boroughbridge is the C of E Church in the town of Boroughbridge, North Yorkshire. We are part of the united parish of Aldborough, Boroughbridge, Dunsforth, Minskip and Roecliffe – in the Diocese of Leeds.

We have services including – Communion, Family Service and Evensong. Services are Sunday and midweek Wednesday.

We also have many other events running throughout the year – a selection of these events are: Kid’s Easter fun club, Annual Art exhibition, Christmas Tree Festival, Christmas Fayre, Regular Coffee Mornings (usually first Sat of the month), and many more…

The work of the Church extends beyond the building with our Eucharist group providing Communion in the home and various care homes in the town and our vicar doing home and hospital visiting.

We have a regular choir (adult and junior) and bell ringers.

The Church has kitchen and toilet facilities.

Groups such as The Mothers’ Union also use the Church as their meeting place.

The Victorian St James’ Church was designed in the medieval “Decorated” style and consecrated in 1851. It replaced the original 14th century Church which stood on St James’ square in the town centre before its demolition in 1851. The Vicar’s vestry contains relics from an earlier Norman Church on the same site in the square.

The principal features of the tower, especially the pinnacles are copied from the tower of the old church (which stood in the centre of town, St. James’ Square); it is 18 feet square, and 70 feet high, embattled and surmounted with a gilded weather-cock. The east window is of beautiful stained glass, the work of Wailes of Newcastle-upon-Tyne. It has four lights with ornamental tracery above. The stalls of antique design in the chancel are of oak from the old church, as are the principal doors, the floor of the bell chamber and roof of the tower. The pulpit is an octagon of chaste design and neat workmanship, which along with the reading desk is also formed of the “heart of oak” found in the former church. The Minton tiles within the altar rails are of richer design and workmanship harmonizing well with the beautiful window above.