The neo-Norman church of St Mary was built in 1843, and is believed to be the only church in the country with an entirely vaulted roof. The marble floor and steps of the chancel, and the vestry door, were originally part of York Minster. There is also a 17th Century communion table, and a Jacobean pulpit. The tiers of pews arranged along three walls are reminiscent of a college chapel. The stone for building the church came partly from the old Roman quarry in the grounds of Aldborough Manor, and partly from another quarry at Copgrove.
The church building is owned and administered by The Churches Conservation Trust.
Services are usually held in the church once a month, and details of all services are displayed by the churchyard gates. In the winter, some services are held in the school, instead of the church.
We welcome visitors to the church at any time. If the church is locked, a key can be obtained from either of the church wardens. Details are on the notice board by the gate.
The Roecliffe Racket Club was set up in 2003, to help raise funds for the church. A monthly draw is held, usually on the first Tuesday of the month, with four prizes of £20, £10, £10 and £5. Anyone can buy as many tickets as they like, at a cost of £1 per ticket per month.
We have many social events in Roecliffe during the year, including a quiz night at least twice a year. Other events include concerts in church given by The Carol Andrew Singers, The Elysian Singers, The Yorkshire Decibelles, and Queen Mary’s School. Further information about any of our events can be obtained by telephoning 01423 325091 or 01423 324276.